The Montessori Peace Corner is an aspect of design that is encouraged in every Montessori classroom. Though it is not original to the Montessori Method, it has been adopted as part of the theory.
The Montessori Peace Corner can be created to meet the specific needs of students in the classroom. It can also be applied to a Montessori homeschool environment or a Montessori home in general.
This post contains affiliate links.
The Montessori Peace Corner can be particularly helpful when you have children with special needs in the classroom or at home. It provides a place for the child to go to calm and regulate himself when needed.
This post is filled with inspiration for your very own Montessori Peace Corner. You will note every Montessori Peace Corner is different.
Peace Corner Inspiration at Home
2. Setting the Peace Table: Children & Conflict Resolution from I Heart Montessori
3. Montessori How-To: Peace Corner & Calming Jar from Montessori Rocks
4. Cultivating Emotional Intelligence from PreK+K Sharing
5. Our Peace Corner from Rivendell Academy
6. Montessori Peace Corner from Montessori Nature
7. A Montessori Peace Corner from Montessori on a Budget
8. Our Peaceful Space from Counting Coconuts
9. The Peace Corner and Other Problem Solving Techniques from How We Montessori
10. Our Peace Corner from Montessori en Casa
Peace Corner Inspiration at School
2. Take a Moment to Rest, Relax, Contemplate, Meditate and then Return to Work from The Moveable Alphabet
3. Peace from Montessori Child
4. Peace from The Work Plan
5. Peace Education from Carrots Are Orange
Our Montessori Peace Corner was created to meet the various needs of our children with special needs. It contains a comfortable place that is dark and quiet if needed. Each child has a bin for their sensory oriented anxiety kit. Each kid also includes at least one book.
Books About Peace
In many peace corners teachers and parents may choose to have books about peace for children to read and look through. Looking at a book that encourages peace can help a child calm down when upset. These are some of our favorite books about peace.
2. Whoever You Are
3. Somewhere Today: A Book of Peace
4. Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
5. A Handful of Quiet
6. The Peace Book
7. Our Peaceful Classroom
8. What Does Peace Feel Like?
9. A Little Peace
10. Can You Say Peace?
11. Peace is an Offering
Sensory Oriented Anxiety Kits
Anxiety kits can also be extremely helpful to include in a peace corner, especially for children with special needs. The posts below include some of our favorite resources.
In conclusion, if you decide to design a Montessori Peace Corner in your home or at school, make it your own. After all of my research and interviews with certified Montessori teachers there is no right or wrong here. You know what will work best for your children.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy the posts below.