This post contains affiliate links.
I'm not sure about your house, but my house has plenty of toys. The thought of getting more completely stresses me out. Then when I think about my youngest... She has everything! What's not in her possession is either up in the attic, waiting for her to be big enough to use, or in an older siblings' room waiting to be handed down when they've grown out of it.
Thankfully, this isn't my first Christmas trying to come up with non-toy items to give little ones. It seemed that every Christmas we had as foster parents, we'd receive new placements the week of, all babies and toddlers. I'd have to scramble around trying to find things to give them. Over time I developed quite a system and knew exactly what to pick up. Here is a list of my go to non-toy gifts for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers!
1. Bedding-Whether it be as simple as a blanket to snuggle with, a set of sheets, pillow. sleeping bag or comforter, you can never go wrong with bedding. You score bonus points if you choose bedding that's their favorite color or has their favorite character on it. If you're crafty, why not make a blanket of quilt yourself?
6. Board Games-I used to think that board games for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers consisted of Chutes & Ladders and Candy Land. But now, there are so many options that can grow with your child!
7. Child Sized Furniture-Whether it be a table and chairs set, desk, beanbag, comfy chair, etc., every little one loves to feel grown up with furniture that fits them just right.
9. Musical Instruments-Some people may consider these toys, but I don't. I'm not talking about musical toys that light up and play songs. I'm talking about actual instruments. There are so many fabulous ones out there for babies and on up.
10. Bathroom Items-Kiddos feel so special when they have their own towel, washcloth, brush/comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, and/or lotion especially when you make them extra special. Are they your child's favorite color? Do they have your child's favorite character on them? Perhaps the soap and/or lotion has a special scent? Princess loves her lotion as it not only smells fabulous, but has glitter in it as well. Also included in this category are crayons, paints, and markers for the bathtub, color tablets for the water, and bubble bath. Talk about making time in the bathroom extra irresistible!
11. Tableware & Accessories-Every baby, toddler, and preschooler needs their own cup, bowl, plate, fork, knife, and spoon in their size. I'm not sure about you, but I know I can never have enough of them either. Why not buy your kiddo a special set? You could also include a sippy cup, water bottle, a Thermos, and/or lunch box. I loved having lunch boxes for my kiddos when they were very young, because I had to take food wherever we went. If it was in the lunch box, at least I knew it wasn't going to spill all over everything in my purse or diaper bag. Plus, the kiddos did and still do get such a kick out of carrying their lunchboxes when we go places. Sunshine is obsessed with it.
12. Kid Friendly Photo Albums-Kiddos loves to look at pictures of themselves and people they love. You can take some photos to an office supply store, laminate them, and have them bound into a book, or you can check out some already made photo albums online. Either way, the gift is sure to be a hit and something special your kiddo will keep for a while.